ok... so this was just one of those last minute things... try and find a quick recipe with what you have indoors!! Worked out really well... tender, moist and full of flavour, both tart and sweet! Adapted from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa at Home
190g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
240ml natural whole-milk yoghurt
280g caster sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
120ml vegetable oil
80ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease a 21 by 11 by 6cm loaf pan. Line the bottom with greaseproof paper and grease and flour the pan.
2) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, 200g of sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
3) With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
4) Meanwhile, heat the fresh lemon juice and the remaining 80g of sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside to cool.
5) When the cake is done, allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully place the cake on a baking rack over a sheet tray. While the cake is still warm, pour over the lemon-sugar mixture and allow it to soak in. I tend to insert a toothpick in several places in order for the mixture to soak all the way through... Cool...