Saturday 11 May 2013

Pasteis De Nata (Portugese Custard Tarts)

I had experimented with freezing the left over egg yolks from the pavlovas I had been rustling up earlier and thought it was time to give them a go! Wow! I shall definitely be doing this again.  I have read about perhaps whisking each egg yolk in a small amount of sugar before freezing, but I didn't do any of that and they seemed to be fine.
This is about as close I feel I could get to this recipe but I will keep up with the experimenting to try and get a better flakier pastry as the ones in Porto last year.  On the whole a fab recipe from allrecipes.co.uk
I amended the quantity of pastry but other than that, it worked a treat! 

It is fine to fill them to around two thirds full as they totally rise and then deflate! 

Ingredients
  • 350g packet puff pastry
  • 225ml (8 fl oz) milk
  • 3 tablespoons cornflour
  • 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 6 egg yolks

Prep Time 20 mins




No comments:

Post a Comment